Office: +1 (703) 995-9887
Mobile: +1 (703) 371-2110
1765 Greensboro Station Place, Suite 900
McLean, VA 22102
J.D., George Mason University
B.S., Grove City College, Electrical Engineering
Virginia State Bar
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals
Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
Peter Flanagan brings more than a decade’s experience in patent practice, including patent prosecution, client counseling, patent portfolio management & transactions, patent litigation in U.S. federal district courts, and post-grant proceedings before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB) of the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO). He has significant experience in a wide range of electrical, computer, and biomedical technologies.
Peter is a seasoned attorney with an emphasis in patent office practice. He has managed the development of large patent portfolios for many clients. He has personally drafted, filed, and prosecuted thousands of patent applications before the USPTO. He has interviewed numerous inventors to develop invention disclosures, and he has drafted new patent applications in a broad range of complex technologies. Peter also conducts interviews with patent examiners, and appeals final rejections to the PTAB.
Peter’s litigation experience includes pre-litigation due diligence, supporting aspects of fact and expert discovery, supporting complex claim construction analysis and briefing in both litigation and PTAB matters.
Peter serves clients of all sizes, from startups to conglomerates with global presence. Peter has worked with clients all over the globe and has traveled world-wide to work on-site with clients to address their intellectual property needs.
Prior to joining Bayes PLLC, Peter practiced for more than fifteen years in the Intellectual Property sections of several of the largest law firms in the United States.
Patent Office Practice
Appeals to the PTAB
AIA PTAB Proceedings
District Court Litigation
Patent Licensing and Transactions
Legal Opinions and Counseling
Global Portfolio Planning and Management
Peter’s diverse patent practice is anchored in his solid technical background obtained through academic training and real-world work experience. He has counseled clients and handled patent portfolios in the following technology areas:
• Computer systems: hardware and software aspects.
• Internet of Things (IoT): hardware, software, and networking aspects.
• Semiconductor and nanotechnology devices: display technologies, batteries, and MEMS.
• Communication systems: cellular technologies and optical communication.
• Medical devices: stents, devices and sensors for brain surgery, and medical facilities.
• Sensor systems: radar systems, satellite sensor technologies, computer vision.
• Motorcycle systems: steering systems, lubrication systems, and safety systems.
• Robotics and Automation systems: control systems and applications including manufacturing.
• Financial services: banking and investing systems and methods.
• Medical research: systems for analyzing medical research, meta-research.
• Software: wide variety including software control, user interface, gaming, and backend.
• Artificial Intelligence: machine learning, deep learning, neural networks.